Should I get insurance?

In short, yes! It’s in your best interest to know what you’re insurance needs are to make sure you’re fully covered when you move

Most property owners insure their property against damage to the structure itself, but not the contents within. For example: if your flat was to catch on fire and all your belongings were destroyed, the property owner’s policy would not cover the cost of replacing your belongings. To protect your goods against loss due to damage (or theft) you should arrange for contents insurance.

It’s just as important to protect yourself against liability for any damage to the property that occurs while you’re living there. If your name is on the tenancy agreement you could be held liable for damage whether or not you were directly responsible. A personal liability insurance policy can provide coverage for situations like this.

Many contents insurance policies will also include personal liability insurance coverage, but check with your insurance provider to be sure.

For more information visit Trade Me Insurance.